Re: VLF: Near field boundary (Re DK7FC's DFCW600 8.97kHz transmission)

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: VLF: Near field boundary (Re DK7FC's DFCW600 8.97kHz transmission)
From: Mike-WE0H <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2010 11:09:43 -0500
Sender: [email protected]

I think this is new to many people. Don't feel alone in not understanding. I sure am learning a lot by these experiments.

Mike-WE0H

Roger L wrote:
Dear Markus,

Maths, EM theory and Maxwell's equations were not my strong points at all, so I'm struggling to understand what you are saying (this is my weakness and not a weakness in your explanation).

I /think/ you are saying that at the sort of distances being achieved by Stefan (~5.2kms) , the H-field component would be slightly weaker than the E-field, so an E-field probe would result in marginally better reception? At greater distances, the difference would not be significant.

Markus, if you have time, I have some more questions:

    * We think Stefan's earth electrode signals are "making the hop"
      without being aided by buried utilities. Is there any way of
      confirming this from the field strengths measured using both H and
      E-field antennas?
    * Is Stefan likely to get much further using his earth electrode
      antenna?  i.e, by radiation
    * Do you know (from theory) how a 300m high Marconi vertical and a
      300m long earth electrode antenna are likely to compare as
      antennas /radiating /a far field signal?

Thank you everyone who has been contributing to the discussion and practical experimentation below 9kHz. It is totally absorbing. I just wish I was more brainy!

73s
Roger G3XBM