AW: LF: AW: 8.97kHz - Near field and radiated signals?

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: AW: LF: AW: 8.97kHz - Near field and radiated signals?
From: Stefan Schäfer <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 23:18:54 +0200
Sender: [email protected]
OK Roger, very nice!

If you would go to use a PC instead your ears, you could immediately get some
"gain" of say 30 dB and thus much more distance. I also like and normally
prefer CW instead of ear reception. Normally i say " a PC has not to be a part
of a amateur radio station", very conservative, hi. Even my logbock is hand
drawn since i do not like having a PC running during the QSOs. But on (LF)/VLF
it is the best way to communicate. On 137 kHz it is rather due to the activity
that is more in QRSS than in CW but...
So, if you would try SpecLab or Argo on a PC and use a stable VFO i think it is
no problem to reach those 3kms in say DFCW-600. Than, it is much more easy to
improve your system since you can see how a change of your setup improves the
reception. If you can improve some dB, maybe even 10 dB, you could go to
DFCW-60 and so on. And you can really try a TV transformer! That would really
make sense in some kms at small antennas.

Now, as i saw your QTH i get the idea to ask you if you don't want to buy a
kite ;-) It's just funny to have it in the air, even without antennas mounted
on it. Also your grad children would enjoy it ;-) And you would be one of the
top 3 of your VLF dx list ;-)

I think i will ask Bernd/DF8ZR if he is interested to do some ground electrode
tests with me. He is in 16km distance and if we would try DFCW-600, maybe it is
possible. Also it would be interesting to see the QRN/QRM daily time
dependency... All this is interesting stuff.
Go on with your tests and report us :-)

Best wishes :-)

Stefan/DK7FC