Re: LF: Amplifier required for LF DX/weak signals?

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Amplifier required for LF DX/weak signals?
From: Stefan Schäfer <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 16:02:53 +0200
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Daniele,

I mean, it depends on the surroundings and the space you have for an (RX) antenna. If you live in the nature, e.g. in a farmers house without electrical energy except a solar panel, battery and your RX a loop is a good choice. If you live in a noisy city without much space for big antennas and without the chance to get a good distance to all cables and QRM sources, a tiny active E-field antenna, as high as possible above the roof of your house will probably work better.
Generally, each amplifier has its own noise level and may even decrease the SNR if not well dimensioned.
Normally, each ham QTH is something between perfect and miserable, so in many cases experimenting makes sense :-) There are several LFers with passive RX antennas and very good reception possibilities!

73, Stefan/DK7FC