LF: Re: Interesting False WSPR Decode

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: Interesting False WSPR Decode
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 20:54:19 -0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=btopenworld.com; s=s1024; t=1269550459; bh=TX17ZtB/pDsmTZaIW7hXRTp/Fu3Kx7nOj3tmrXDzTHc=; h=Received:X-Yahoo-SMTP:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Message-ID:From:To:References:In-Reply-To:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MIMEOLE; b=tHC26rP8VP14RK+3ySqOjGc9Kfme5m/mPaZgIQLi+q1/r1w9M0byP8vCQXBXNvMdq+ILqHfDC5bOcX9X2ePf/pclaFv1AcxPMTCz3gkhT5ckqY8l+NEsqXAD7QTuzn/tV/PF3ncCezQbbF5hzzP+CNj1lgc0SAgvzX2ed9I59kc=
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=btopenworld.com; h=DKIM-Signature:Received:X-Yahoo-SMTP:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Message-ID:From:To:References:In-Reply-To:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MIMEOLE; b=ZCd4EF5BOagxi0Dsk2kLRkVGxquIkfdqcsC9NKAIMufEZfzZifZvGj94JceeJ/L+PMikdfp9aF25WyMtvmYjmdRW0daGp9/7w6u6QzHAuCD+UdI3/y3gOJXpGV85rgqBImSGukZbIlPpyf1Yimswy79l9HyjYNdVX/ft1NPIYvE= ;
Domainkey-status: good (testing)
Sender: [email protected]

Dear Andy, Eddie, LF Group,

Actually these "double false decodes" are not particularly rare, although not usually correctly formatted as a beacon signal, so they don't make it into the database. For instance, O4V1FS appeared twice at 1640utc. I think they must be an artefact of the demodulation/decoding algorithms used by WSPR - don't ask me how! There have actually been some fairly impressive bursts of noise this evening.

I have a feeling that this kind of behaviour is linked to times when WSPR takes a very long time to complete decoding. In fact, sometimes the blue "decoding" button in the WSPR window remains active for a whole 2 minute TX period, and overruns into the next period - this may be when these decodes appear. This behaviour seems to be associated with bursts of noise. Or at least, so it seems, but it happens quite rarely, and so life is probably too short for me to check! So it might be some sort of bug.

The false decode of an "extra" G3ZJO on 503.989kHz is curious too, presumably it must be related. The DT time offset figure in the WSPR readout is -1.4s for the real signal, and +2.9s for the imposter - the two "7D0LX"s were also offset in time with DT of +5.7 and +6.4 seconds. A long delay echo seems to be stretching credibility a bit!

Of course, there also have been genuine double decodes, where a station has had hum sidebands and so on.

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU

Jim -
How did you manage this? Never seen one like it before.

A false WSPR decode, but the identical message appearing twice, 124 Hz
apart.
Must have been an interesting burst of pulsed WB interference to generate
in.