LF: Z codes etc

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Z codes etc
From: "Mark" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2010 17:43:43 -0000
Sender: [email protected]
ZKB?

ZHP G3KEV ????

ZCS

ZAZ

For those interested in Z codes

Seriously though Mal. You seem to be lucky enough to be able to devote hours of your day to policing the lower bands, and actually operating, which must be great.  Most of us have other things to do and some can contribute more by the use of innovative software and systems that allow automatic reporting of signals at levels comparable to or better than any human operator, without having to stay glued to the receiver.

I fully expect to be able to gather enough data from WSPR transmissions eventually to measure the movement and size of propagation 'zones'  and probably other useful data too. I don?t expect you to understand the technicalities, I have only a limited ability in this area, I find the maths hard, but then I am not a Nobel prize winner. There are those in our community who really do understand what the potential is and are working hard to realise it.

The use of these modes and the potential benefits may be outside your interests, but have the courtesy to respect that others actively wish to use the band for genuine experimental reasons, rather that just operating. Some may not even want to have QSOs

FWIW, I am also a keen and fairly competent cw operator, perhaps without prejudices instilled by my profession, and I am able to operate and receive weak CW within tens of Hz of other transmissions. If you are half the operator you claim to be, you too will not be severely impacted by the usage of a small segment of the band by WSPR or other machine generated transmissions.

A good proportion of my operation from 500KHz to 24GHz and even light, is on CW, and it has netted me more DX and first countries from GM that I can remember. However you will find me on JT65 and JT6M regularly on 4m and 6m as it is better for some of the propagation modes I am interested in.

I will be running up a WSPR transmitting station on 500KHz soon with luck, and will endeavour to provide the grabber and WSPR receive system, 24/7

www.dc2light.co.uk

There is room, even in the 500KHz band, for multiple modes and interests to be explored without significant conflict. Be happy that the band is being actively used.

You are not going to have regular QSOs with stations like me who want to experiment, as I am not often in a position to break out the key. When I do have time to operate, it is likely to be on CW, the WSPR system will be off and I hope to see you there!

Happy New Year

Mark GM4ISM