Re: LF: Question to the groundwave

To: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: Question to the groundwave
From: Rik Strobbe <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 10:22:18 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Hello Stefan,

ground waves (surfaces waves) are a tricky thing.
The assumption you made (+6dB TX power = double distance) takes only the 2D spreading loss into account. This would be correct if the ground would be a perfect conductor and if the earth would be flat.
In reality you have 2 additional losses: diffraction loss (due to the earth curve) and ground loss.
The bad message is that these losses both have a more or less 1D behavior, and thus their attenuation is more or less linear to the distance.
The late G4FGQ wrote a very good DOS application (named GRNDWAVE3) where you can put in a lot of parameters (distance, antenna efficiency, frequency, ground type, TX power) and it gives you the path attenuation, field strength at RX end and RX antenna voltage.
It must be on the web on several places (google it), but in case you cannot find it I can send it to you.
Just as an example the path loss this programme  gives for 137kHz and an average ground:
250km = 55.1dB
500km = 65.3dB
750km = 74.7dB
1000km = 83.5dB
2000km = 115.4dB
3000km = 144.5dB
4000km = 172.2dB
5000km = 199.0dB
As you can see doubling the distance "costs" far more that 6dB (by surface wave, sky wave is a different story).
I haven't kept any records by I think that the surface wave limit for most amateur stations is 1000-1200km (on 137kHz), maybe a bit more in QRSS. Beyond that you are far better of with sky waves.

73, Rik  ON7YD - OR7T