LF: Re: Stainless steel versus copper

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: Stainless steel versus copper
From: "Clemens Paul" <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 7 Nov 2009 11:39:08 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Hello Wolf,

Regarding steel wire losses depend highly on the kind of steel
and on the kind of antenna (resonant or not).
Magnetic steel should be avoided because its µrel is unknown and
changes over frequency.

On shortwave I've measured a factor of ~13 steel vs copper for *rf*  losses of a 2mm
steel antenna litz wire, manufactured by a former German antenna producer (Fritzel).
This closely matches with numbers found in Gerd Janzen's book "Kurze Antennen".
Therefore the efficiency for a half wave dipole is about 89% (0,5dB)
and 84% (0,76dB) for a fullwave loop made of this type of steel.
Losses of steel antenna wire really become detrimental if you use short antennas because of
the low radiation resistance.
So for MW/LW,where most of us have extremely short antenas in terms of wavelength
steel wire is not advisable for antennas.
Losses of feeders made of steel,with reasonable diameter (say 2mm) are in the same range
as with resonant dipoles or resonant loops,i.e. neglectable for our purposes.

73
Clemens
DL4RAJ