Re: LF: 2009-11-09 09:12 G4JNT 0.503849 -23 0 IO90iv 0.2 K1JT

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: 2009-11-09 09:12 G4JNT 0.503849 -23 0 IO90iv 0.2 K1JT
From: John P-G <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 08:24:19 +0000
Sender: [email protected]

Andy, LF,

I've never been comfortable with K1JT spots, especially on MF, given the software's default settings have his callsign and grid square.

Digging deeper in the WSPRnet log shows that at the same time as the spot of G4JNT on 500kHz there are lots of spots from K1JT on 10MHz. While this isn't conclusive (I often monitor 2 bands at once) what is more suspicious is that all the 30m spots are reported with the grid of FN20qi (presumably the correct 6-fig grid for the real K1JT) and the spot of Andy on 500kHz is only 4-figs FN20

This might point to it being a "forgot to change the defaults" spot by A.N.Other?

However!!

Looking at all K1JT's spots on VLF/LF shows that he's received BHZ (again with the 4-fig FN20 grid) and many of W22XGR and W32XGR (with the same 4-fig FN20) - these XGR spots are with very good S/N ratios, which might indicate that it's genuinely the real K1JT and that his MF version of WSPR is set to report only with the 4-fig grid square.

So - unless you can ask Joe himself, it looks like I'd accept them as genuine? There aren't any other obviously erroneous K1JT spots in the database that I can see over the recent past (ie simultaneous spots on multiple bands indicating there are several phantom K1JT's out there).

Cheers,

John
GM4SLV

Andy Talbot wrote:
I queried a few instances on this some months ago, and several stations
sugegsted the log was genuine.  They're in the database, and can be found by
searching with callsign and reporter filters set.    Those roughly coincided
with being heard by A1AA, which is more likely to be genuine.

    2009-11-09 09:12
 G4JNT   0.503849   -23   0   IO90iv   0.2   K1JT   FN20   5599   288

At  09-12   ... amazing  !

G ..