Re: LF: Ferrite characteristics

To: [email protected], [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Ferrite characteristics
From: Chris Trask <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 09:34:21 -0500 (EST)
Sender: [email protected]

> Does anyone know of a method of measuring the characteristics
> (permeability) of ferrite cores?  I have a box of these most
> without any identification although I do have T200, 68-2T and
> T68-2s whose characteristics are known.
>
> It occurs to me that you can make a tuned circuit and measure
> resonance with a GDO when a ferrite core is inserted into the
> inductance. A graph could be made of the different resonances
> with different cores, to extrapolate the unknowns.
>
> However I think that ferrite bulk might be a problem. For example
> I guess the red T cores use the same material but would there be
> a difference between the T200 and the T68?

     Since some are coloured, you can reasonably assume that they are powdered
iron rather than ferrite as the ferrite manufacturers, particularly Fair-Rite
and Ferronics, normally don't colour code their products, though Ferroxcube
does.  These two Micrometals URLs should help:

     http://www.micrometals.com/materials_index.html

     http://www.micrometals.com/materials_index.html

     Unfortunately, the tables provided by Ferroxcube do not provide the colour
coding information, so you'll need to go through the individual datasheets:

     http://www.ferroxcube.com/prod/assets/sfmatgra_frnt.pdf

     The recent reply by Marco provided a reasonable approach to sorting out
the permeability:

> just my 2 Eurocents...  wound a few (5 to 20) turns, measure
> L and take physical dimensions of the toroid, use G4FGQ's
> toroid.exe, and then play with the parameters in the program
> to find wich permeability gives the L you measured. The
> program is pretty accurate, Reg did a nice job.

Chris

     ,----------------------.       High Performance Mixers and
    /    What's all this     \    Amplifiers for RF Communications
   / extinct stuff, anyhow?  /
   \  _______,--------------'           Chris Trask / N7ZWY
  _ |/                                  Principal Engineer
 oo\                                  Sonoran Radio Research
(__)\       _                             P.O. Box 25240
  \  \    .'  `.                     Tempe, Arizona 85285-5240
    \  '"        \                 IEEE Senior Member #40274515
      '-| )__| :.  \              Email: [email protected]
        | |  | | \  '.       http://www.home.earthlink.net/~christrask

                       Graphics by Loek Frederiks