Re: LF: Throb -2- beacon 503.000

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Throb -2- beacon 503.000
From: Andy Talbot <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 10:25:58 +0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=googlemail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:in-reply-to:references :date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type; bh=ABJYcwRArk3fMkn+jj+aaOP/Q+WbFW57jiO+I1bwDSA=; b=eIrziDgiCls2GWxUbbCLwUFnJ42Vh4xh+wainYwGKcTRDlEejprCj2VuZcuR4kCyWy FfbKS3FtJJFEoSryMlzSFh4O/biOFZR3LbQV2zVvZdPANx6GKu/UdW8aYXY25RNO/xE/ jhB1a33N8t0MuUyEERUjpVAjvrbdwHoylBgvE=
Sender: [email protected]
VAC can cause timing problems inteh conversion of one sampling rate to another as it crosses the Virtual Audio backplane.

I use cheap 'headphone dongles'  to add additional soundcards for the SDR then cross-patch the audio leads as necessary.    That way timing issues due to poor sample rate conversion are removes, leaving just frequency innaccuracies which are hardly ever a problem.

The only downside is that many of the low cost units (£5 from Ebay, for example) only have a mono microphone input, meaning they can't be used with I/Q inputs from Softrockks or similar.   However, the headphone O/P is stereo, but you need to be aware that the headphone ground usually sits at a few volts positive so needs to be isolated to avoid damage.

I'vew used many of these modules, sometimes building them into equipment to give a simple USB audio interface, and having the USB's 5V supply to play with as well.

Andy
www.g4jnt.com

this email has been scanned for political correctness by the nanny state

2009/10/28 Horst Stöcker <[email protected]>
to Lubos (and anyone who may be interested):
Did you ever hear of a software named "virtual audio cable"? For example you can send your SDR-signal to the virtual Soundcard. From that you can decode THROB or what ever. So you do not need a second computer for decoding. The speed of the computer who has to mange both must be higher, of course.
Horst DO1KHS

Hello Graham, LF!