Re: LF: defence of WSPR Signals

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: defence of WSPR Signals
From: Roger Lapthorn <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2009 15:06:58 +0100
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:in-reply-to:references :date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type; bh=ET95PfljaRhgqgrvxeJg7is5jNkvZ8APbAw8K2QKiIA=; b=ZK/+jNKX0t7mbqT3JEfYHrXRHwRpQZJpQS+ECK9PUDfv3o/Bf+GAmqh9kYGzmIjAur Z8ToyatHtmgM3fsPDOdWq4ktDiiZAMgDLQaDEK/eGcuV9c1aLetGZrTmeFYbUA6Ts8Ye tyqGHr9nLTmDzzVlrpqg66bMzCgJeSbBQu/Pw=
Sender: [email protected]
Having been away on holiday for a couple of weeks without internet connection I missed this thread until today.

My views on WSPR are simple.
  • It is (will be) enormously helpful when analysing LF antennas/station improvements.
  • It is very useful for indicating propagation changes and on higher bands like 10/6m can show openings that might otherwise be missed. I have already seen 10m signals at 3am for example.
  • It allows QRPp signals like mine to be detected on LF, HF and VHF bands, although I agree other weak signal modes may be as good (but may lack the internet database feedback element which is the REAL killer application for me).
  • The on-line database is very helpful in getting almost real time feedback and indications of your station's coverage.
  • It is not a replacement for QSO modes, but is an extremely powerful beaconing tool.
BTW, I hope to start on my improvements to my basic 500kHz station in the next few weeks so would appreciate 500kHz WSPR reports again once my signal reappears. Once my signal gets to a decent level I am looking forward to some CW contacts as well.

73s
Roger

http://g3xbm-qrp.blogspot.com/
http://www.g3xbm.co.uk