Re: LF: Re: Re: Circa 1930s 545 kc in Budapest

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Re: Re: Circa 1930s 545 kc in Budapest
From: Warren Ziegler <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2009 11:35:12 -0400
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:in-reply-to:references :date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type :content-transfer-encoding; bh=YRm+dvn5+JHp1Tl4n5eYf1b1mvi+XAS1kDw8WZl53bk=; b=fptfCv/wKzcu9koDcFZGdGJY9nMPr3ht/M+aM07byhFDnMIxWQRY33JGfJhFhFGZOQ vvTBPpzUeN68pc0B91TpQyMh0IIbVTqisGPTkzosC4QIoi36uYq3ygX5Lg6YRhOIl1xN QIQKrtHRtpAVd/CgTRaij1iP1cvHKG7IJll7k=
Sender: [email protected]
Mal,

> I have seen some similar type antennas while flying across the USA years ago
> painted RED and WHITE if I remember correctly.
> That was in the days when LF and MF were the norm for broadcasting, before
> the advent of FM and satellites, although there is still plenty of LF/MF
> broadcasting but mainly low power local stations these days, and antenna
> masts are more modest structures than they used to be.

       Towers are still pained red and white for visibility.
There has never been any LF broadcasting in the US.

There is a big Blaw-Knox tower in Nashville, Tennessee for station WSM
(650kHz) and a smaller one in Manchester, NH.
The Manchester NH Blaw-Knox tower has been used by hams after hours on
160 meters.

There are just as many high power MW stations and big towers in the US
as before, but now it is common for formerly daytime only stations to
have reduced power at night which creates QRM for MW dxers.

--
73 Warren K2ORS
                WD2XGJ