Re: LF: Re: WOLF/WSPR Sound card issues

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Re: WOLF/WSPR Sound card issues
From: Andy Talbot <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2009 18:59:25 +0100
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=googlemail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:in-reply-to:references :date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type; bh=tJW8LiWubLksZVcW3qdCRZSshmLqEYFEru+e1fXmF3g=; b=Mcr9dz+WaCn9P1phXGcc2nbQBSDSWMIlrtsFeAH3gzgYZkYqQIJpEfa0Za/1O0fiNI p5/KEojwP76+VQXnimI4G/2oPa47E0fitKMhgUHllSmdt3DKQxTf+EX8rM41M9P5eKcC W6atM0yXxOZlK/+ycL36EkJkklyQOALNk8OCA=
Sender: [email protected]
My Dell Inspiron Laptop, when  11025Hz sampling rate is requested, actually gives 10800Hz (near enough) which was enough to completely kill JT4 decoding.  (JT4 is a WSJT mode, not totally unlike WSPR in its coding/error correction and use of four frequency FSK with 50% embedded sync, but with a much wider frequency shift and 48 second Tx period with 4.375Hz symbol interval).

The WSJT software itself measures and reports sampling rate errors and allows the user to enter the values into the setup - quite why Joe never made this an automatic procedure I wonder....

the 'JNT theory why it was so far out...
The old sampling rate of 11025 has factors of (3 * 3 * 5 * 5 * 7 * 7)
However 12000Hz has factors   5 * 5 * 5 * 3 * 2 * 2 * 2 * 2 * 2 * 2
So I'm guessing 10800 (factors of  5 * 5 * 3 * 3 * 3 * 2 * 2 * 2 * 2)  is adopted as it has more in common with 12000 and keeps the firmware simpler.

Frequency error of 2.08% which I'm sure a musician would detect

As WSPR is the first from the WSJT stable to use 12000 sampling, presumably he saw no need to put the correction into the original WSPR software.

(working on modifying WSPR beacon software for the ancient AD9851 DDS, as I have a couple spare now)

this email has been scanned for political correctness by the nanny state