LF: report - 500

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: report - 500
From: Laurence BY3A-KL1X China <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 14:07:34 -0800
Sender: [email protected]

The window to Eu is still very small but Gus signal peaked (moreover became visible) at around 2100z for about 15 mins.

This is the time of the day when the sky is just showing signs of lightening up a bit as we go towards dawn. Nothing from Jim but given the paths and the timeline its still way too short given the mutual full darkness path. It still isnt.

Gus's move to 925 helped a lot and it was easy to see the WSPR signature using Argo.

On WOLF

snipped from another email
2009-09-10 21:15:29 >WOLF10  -r 8100.257 -f 1000 -t 1 -w 0.0000
t:  24 f:-0.339 etc..................

For calibration of receiver/cards I commend John W1TAG's site - have a troll around and perhaps read.

http://www.w1tag.com/WOLFSamp.htm

Hes got some great stuff on his site.

WOLF should be a much better "dig into the noise" protocol for paths like mine which require a lot of aggregation and sampling to get a good decode. Time will tell. But you have to get your receiver and sound cal down to nearly zero Hz offset for the best improvement. f:-0.339 (Hz) isnt bad -

Your pc too has to work very hard and having multiple processes running may be stressing it to the point where buffers are being buffeted! Im running WSPR, WOLF, ARGO, ARGO upload and Internet exp all at the same time and Im not sure whether this is the best for large processing sessions. I tend to look at the clock timing and if there is discrepancies between actual and PC clock time over a short baseline Im probably doing too much (my simple view)

If your getting f: >1Hz decodes you need to do something - In fact if your getting freq offsets  f: >0.5 +- Hz Id still do something to get your cal better. When we come to longer paths and weaker more transitory openings it will really pay, and not just for WOLF either.

WOLF should (should) knock socks off WSPR at very very low signal levels (>-30) but time will tell. It also requires a very stable receiver/phase to work...a receiver that wanders just a few millihertz over the sampling period will reduce the quality of the decode..  It may appear to be a lot of work and over the short paths WSPR/CW et al is much more forgiving..

With thanks for the signals - off to work time.

Laurence KL 1X G4 DMA in Tianjin China.

Hotmail® is up to 70% faster. Now good news travels really fast. Try it now. =