LF: Re: WSPR Signals

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: WSPR Signals
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 18:15:35 +0100
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=btopenworld.com; h=Received:X-Yahoo-SMTP:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Message-ID:From:To:References:In-Reply-To:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MIMEOLE; b=SFCBJW9EgwoZNRfBW1lyW+dkDNeLzKCNUwlTjK/TDekW385l0i1Xnk8JXArtrzSzvioUftDJ0pFZhIZaM1Eh/YwR3XVHdrmvQS9DpdAcdAh/c7VbRvvr3Qew3N6NgKLdoCNP5PCI0BrE2xWoyWisKASAJp/Ca73wC8HwA+lB8OQ= ;
Domainkey-status: good (testing)
Sender: [email protected]

Dear Chris, LF Group,

Thanks for the reports on the 136kHz signals.

G4AYT wrote:

...I am having difficulty in seeing the point of some of this when there is little in the way of exchanged information between stations. There is a place for beacons, certainly. What concerns me is that the casual listener tuning across the band probably has no idea there's anybody on.

On 500k, there are a handful of fairly local stations and a couple of "big guns" who I can work routinely in CW. The information I can exchange with these stations is quite limited by the licence conditions; information about the station and some pleasant personal chatter. With other stations, communication is usually quite difficult, and exchange of information is usually limited to callsigns and signal reports. These kind of marginal QSOs are usually regarded as more "valuable" in amateur circles, although the information exchanged may amount to less than 10 alphanumeric characters each way. It isn't really the amount of information, but the fact you actually managed to transmit it. On the other hand, WSPR allows a similar or greater amount of information (callsign, location, power output for comparison with received signal level) to be transmitted routinely at signal levels where even marginal CW just isn't feasible. The fact it can be automatically monitored over extended periods, and the information immediately shared via a publicly-accessible database adds a whole series of other possibilities too.

Since the start of 500kHz, I have received one or two listener reports for CW signals from stations not already on this reflector. On the other hand, I have received reports from over 80 different stations in about 18 countries for the WSPR beacon, most not otherwise part of the 500kHz scene. This includes stations too far away to receive CW, those who do not have good receiving conditions, or those who are just not morse operators. So I think it encourages far more people than it discourages.

Cheers, Jim moritz
73 de M0BMU