Re: LF: Decca 5501Jeep

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Decca 5501Jeep
From: Peter Dodd <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 07 May 2009 12:26:13 +0100
Sender: [email protected]

Hi Warren
I fully agree with you. The Decca 5501's were used in unattended stations and transmitting 24/7 under a very heavy duty cycle. There were several transmitters all in the same rack transmitting at the same time on different frequencies feeding into the same antenna through an ingenious automatic multi-tuning system - a remarkable bit of radio engineering. I blew the FETs in one of the amplifier units because my 5501 had been modified to be dual band 73 and 136kHz and one day when I QSYed I forgot to change all the necessary coil taps. Check out G4FTCs web site for some interesting pictures of the Decca stations.

Regards

Peter, G3LDO

Mal,

    You couldn't be more wrong!!!
I have been running a Decca in QRSS 60 for several years now at full
power + often overnight and occasionally for days at time with ZERO
transmitter failures. The Decca runs cool at 1.4 - 1.5 kW DC input.
Perhaps you are not allowing for sufficient air circulation through
the heat sinks. My Decca is in a rack with plenty of clearance above
and below for the air to circulate. I don't think that it's a good
idea to run the Decca sitting on a table as I've seen done in some
shack pictures.