Re: LF: LF/MF REPORTS

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: LF/MF REPORTS
From: Richard Newstead <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 23 May 2009 12:23:36 +0100
Sender: [email protected]

Richard Newstead wrote:
GW3UEP beaconing on 501.38. Very weak here. 1110z.

Dear all

Actually it took me quite a while to decipher Rogers callsign and in doing so it occurred to me that 500kHz in the day is a good band for testing DSP noise reduction as it is noisy but the groundwave is very constant.

I did just that with the FT1000 here and found that none of the four noise reduction options helped. What did help was the 60Hz DSP filter. I estimate that it gave between 1 and 2dB improvement over my ears which was just enough to lift the callsign from unreadable to just readable (with difficulty). I have never been able to do that sort of test as easily on the other bands.

73

Richard
G3CWI