LF: Compact fluorescent lamps

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Compact fluorescent lamps
From: Richard Rogers <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 03 Apr 2009 17:13:00 +1100
Sender: [email protected]

G'day,

I have been modifying my LF receiving setup to suit the 136KHz band which will soon be available here and found that a compact fluorescent lamp in my kitchen was noisy on 136KHz. Other compact fluorescents in the house are OK, so perhaps it depends on the house power wiring as well.

So I bought and tested eight 20W warm white fluorescent lamps of several brands, all made in China, using a short wire near the glowing tube as a aerial. The receiver is an IC-703 and a BB4W program sweeps the receiver over the band and draws the spectrum.

The spectrum of the most satisfactory can be seen at http://www.qsl.net/vk7ro/estar.jpg.

I'll now buy another lamp of the same type and test it as well, but at least my kitchen should be OK. Two identical GE lamps had slightly different spectra and one would have been OK for 136KHz, but alas, it would not fit in the luminaire.

It's an expensive way to change a light globe.

--
73, Ric, VK7RO