LF: Re: "Silence of the Lamps", etc

To: "RSGB LF Group" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: "Silence of the Lamps", etc
From: "PY2PLL" <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 22:04:48 -0300
Sender: [email protected]
Hi ...

On the same website, there is also an article about a varctor tuned loop
antenna, where the author found the "Q" of the resonant antenna was
higher when tuned with varactor diodes, than with an air variable
capacitor (?!) :

http://brneurosci.org/loopantenna.html

NTE618s are rare down here but I have some for testing. Actually I'm building a regular MW loop for external mount (rotor oriented, remotely tunned, 12AT7 tube as a balanced buffer, etc) and I'm using this event to test some parts: the 12AT7 cathode folower versus a 2xJ310 one, tunning element (NTE6128 X air variable X cheap film insulated MW radio variables).

I don't want to use the traditional pick up loop ... a 10 turn antena X 1 turn coupling loop will present to receiver a Z between 100K <> 1Mohm! On my configuration, I'm picking up RF signals using those Hi-Z buffers right from the coil ends, e.g the places where tunnig elements are connected.

And I'm doing some real measurements using local AM pests using a W&G SPM33 SLM. The first results shows that when NTE618 is used the received signals drops 12dB average when compared to an air variable capacitor. As expected. Ok, there's a lot of signal anyway, with 618 or air variable, it's simpler to use varicaps to remote tunning but ... I want the 12AT7 + air variable there :-)

Diagrams + photos (texts in portuguese for a while, sorry)

Theory + table comparing components expected thermal noise: http://py.qsl.br/loop_om.htm
Tube Buffer = http://py.qsl.br/om_buffer.htm
J310 buffer = http://py.qsl.br/a_pratica.htm

73