LF: Re: 'JNT WSPR

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: 'JNT WSPR
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2009 18:50:28 -0000
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=btopenworld.com; h=Received:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Message-ID:From:To:References:In-Reply-To:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE; b=fTIU5z6Dtd32EdrP/UGb07zDjyv+Qd5EayCC8YAXp6wo7NCy5goZZYRSBQBL/UIp1VE1YVpdVsyR5UkJL3+5v/jOUiEFG/qWFt3kKgWsQr+nGQR/SGQvKHqSYrzsheCj6cMrzrZ8iON7gmTeaRk9ThfUeH89Xz7d/eXvBrU66JA= ;
Domainkey-status: good (testing)
Sender: [email protected]

Dear Andy, LF Group,

Should be better now - I have been playing with antennas due to the problem that arose yesterday with the increased noise levels. Incidentally, I just saw your frequency jump from 503870 to 503885 Hz in the middle of the 1830 transmission, but still gave 0dB and +3dB SNRs - on two frequencies!

After going out and about with a loop and portable RX, I am now pretty certain that the QRM is being radiated from the Brookmans Park transmitter site. I am not entirely certain, but there seems to be some correlation between the noise and the BBC R5 909kHz transmission audio, the antenna of which is about 500m from here. This was also the case before, but the QRM level has risen by about 20dB in the last day or so.

As an experiment, I have lashed up an EWE-like antenna, and with suitable tweaking this gives about 20dB of unidirectional null, which has brought me back to more or less where I was before, at least for signals coming from a westerly direction. It is too big to be a permanent fixture, and also interacts with the TX antenna. But I think similar or better results will be achievable by phasing a vertical antenna against the existing loops here.

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU

----- Original Message ----- From: "Andy Talbot" <[email protected]>