LF: Antenna Diversity

To: "rsgb" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Antenna Diversity
From: "mal hamilton" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 16:48:27 -0000
Sender: [email protected]
LF/MF
I am experimenting at present with antenna (space diversity) using two loops. Loop A is 40 metres perimeter vertical orientation, Loop B is 190 metres perimeter also vertical.  Both loops optimum E/W.
I am using two receivers in this experiment Ant A to Siemens D2155 level meter, BW 20 Hz and vy stable, Ant B to Datong up converter and IC746 250 Hz BW. Both audio outputs to soundcard/ARGO display allowing 50 hz separation for observation.
Observing DI2AM at present and having calibrared this signal on both RX outputs at a point in time, both signals are fairly constant but more variations have been observed on Ant A - 40m loop, the signal surges in strength and then fades down, whereas Ant B has a more constant output with less fade.
More time is needed for a proper assessment and DI2AM is also a strong signal. I would need a few long haul signals for a proper test like Russian or USA .
Interested in MF signals at present.
This method would also work with a couple of small loops or a loop and probe type antenna, then at a glance one would know how each was performing, of course with the loop in the optimum direction for target signal.

This is just a simple setup, it works well and no audio cross mod noticed, nice clean signals on display in spite of the fact that the separation is only 50hz.
A nice balanced mixer would be a more sophisticated approach, that might come later.

73 mal/g3kev