Re: LF: Re: WE2XGR/2 in JT65A mode last night

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Re: WE2XGR/2 in JT65A mode last night
From: Scott Tilley <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 14:31:04 -0800
Sender: [email protected]

Hi David

I've used JT65 to listen to cloud backscatter as well with a small laser radar system I built. If only someone else out here had such a rig :-)

73 Scott

[email protected] wrote:
Interesting result Jim / Jay.
I assume that the figure that varies between -17 and -23 is the receive value in dB. Given the observation about local noise then it may be the case that UK - USA could be achieved with 6 to 9dB less power. This is a very efficient mode. The magazine 'Dubus' this quarter has an article on communicating over the horizon with light by reflecting light modulated by JT65 off the clouds. Clearly various JT modes are being used at both extremes of the EM Spectrum. No wonder it's creator also holds a Nobel prize for Physics. Happy new year everyone. David G0MRF In a message dated 31/12/2008 18:20:04 GMT Standard Time, [email protected] writes:

    The total number of decodes at this QTH was 14. Most occured
    between 2348
    and 0012, when there were 10 decodes out of a possible 13. The
    first decode
    occured at 2300 and the last at 0102. So these are over a similar
    period of
    time to G3XVL's reception, although differently distributed.

    I think more decodes would have occured if the level of mains
    noise here
last night had been lower.