Re: LF: strong prop 505 kHz

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: strong prop 505 kHz
From: [email protected]
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 10:23:23 +0200
Sender: [email protected]
Hi MF ops,

Being in holiday (JO63WR - very rural area) i am playing around with new
PERSEUS RX.
Antenna similar to PA0RDT whip (P8000 + 2N3866) in 3 m height.
Yesterday evening 600 mtrs full of beacon sigs, besides GM4SLV, G4WGT, SK6RUD
lot of
commercial beacons (A2A mod, c/s C, KN, TBV, ILM, WRW and more).
First (bad) idea:
Intermod prods in rx - > used old EKD300 rx : same sigs audible
Next idea: intermod in active antenna (have only this ant in holiday qth).
So called nearby OM (DL2NRC, qrb 5 km - tnx) who crosschecked by IC735 and EKV
rx on his
shortwave antennas. He did receive just the same i got.

Unluckily i operate the PERSEUS rx only at an ASUS EEEPC with microscopic
ressources.
Therefore I wasn't able to store the screen.
Had to cease observations yesterday at 1800 utc.

Today, Oct. 15th:
0530 - 0540 utc:

relative noise level on free channel (rms)  -125 dBm (nearly "left" end of
PERSEUS scale)

GI4DPE: -100 dBm (peak value in heavy qsb)
SK6RUD:  -100 dBm (much less qsb)
DI2AM: -80 dBm (no qsb, qrb abt 120 km)

comm A2A bcns:

ILM  488 kHz -115 dBm
C     485   -110 dBm
TBV  492   -114 dBm
Z      508   -103 dBm
KN    494    -92 dBm.

Anyone with info re. these comm beacons? (qth?)

Very sorry that I cannot continue this obs before next week.

Lucky old men in G, SM and ON.
Hope DL authorities will permit qso on my old "daily bread" band in the future.

73

Joerg, DL3NRV (DI2AM)