Re: LF: Beacon on approx 505.2KHz ?

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Beacon on approx 505.2KHz ?
From: [email protected]
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 06:11:36 EDT
Sender: [email protected]
In a message dated 25/09/2008 05:36:54 GMT Daylight Time, [email protected] writes:
I hope you get sorted out and on the air soon, we need another GM
station to fill the void!

The biggest beacon around that frequency (there are a few others) is
DI2AM on  505.180. This is received here in Shetland 24/7,
although audibility dips during the day, it's always visible on my
grabber.

It sends a normal speed CW ident follwed by its callsign in QRSS3,
repeating every 5 minutes. Check http://www.gm4slv.org.uk/grabber2.htm
to see what it looks like on a waterfall screen.
Hi John

Many thanks for the reply, but I'm having "fun" enough trying to locate, and hopefully eliminate, some LF interference sources without even considering transmitting.

You were right about DI2AM, I did make a recording as I was losing it but it was very quiet on playback and my hearing's not that good so couldn't read much other than the VVV at the start. Your prompting and repeated playing was enough to convince me though that I can, just about, read the callsign too:-)

I did try to check your grabber last night but, for whatever reason, Google pointed me at the narrow band version and I was too dozy to notice the link to the full coverage display.

regards

Nigel
GM8PZR