Re: LF: Re: 500KHz NoV

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: Re: 500KHz NoV
From: "Graham" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2008 01:27:14 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Dennis,

Don't worry about  operation on vlf, I think you find the band acts more like top band , with a well defined service area ~60/ 70 miles and a first skip round 200/250 , I can see a trace at Birmingham with 500mW to my antenna , only real problem is the dreaded deep fade 'qsb' whic takes the signal out 30 seconds up to  1 minuet + , which causes havoc with rtty , as you have no idea if the other station copied anything .... dont suppose you have amtor ?

I doubt you will cause any interference with  those power levels , I ran 20 watts to a inverted L  40 ft x 40 ft for a long time , which radiated quite well , but after adding a top loading coil found it worked a lot better , with 150 watts and a new variometer tuner , still didn't record any problems ..

Had more problems with the pc jamming the incoming signals and a funny long life bulb that radiated a well spaced spectrum across the band  ! check out the pages on the google  uk500khz web news group for links to the grabbers etc .

73 's

Graham ..

G0NBD

Sent: Thursday, July 31, 2008 9:52 AM
Subject: LF: Re: 500KHz NoV

Hi Lee

I have just got my NOV to operate on 500kHz, so will be dipping my toe into the water from next week.

I have not got any 138kHz experience and only obtained my full amateur licence last May.
On my application for the NOV, I provided a scale diagram of my own and immediate neighbour's properties, gave a brief description of the TX(home brew), RX(Lowe HF-225) and antenna(T) that I intend to use and an estimate of my erp from the TANTENNA program on the internet (200mW).  As I am using a VFO, I use a counter to measure the frequency and also monitor transmissions using the RX which has a digital readout.   I also stated that I would cease transmissions until any complaint was satisfactorily resolverd, and mentioned two nearby amateurs also working on 500kHz whose help and advice I could seek.

All the above seemed to work, so good luck on your application.  The more the merrier.

73 Dennis M0JXM