Re: LF: RADCOM - CONSTRUCTIONAL ITEMS AND ALL THAT

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: RADCOM - CONSTRUCTIONAL ITEMS AND ALL THAT
From: [email protected]
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 13:17:45 EDT
Sender: [email protected]
In a message dated 18/07/2008 17:12:52 GMT Daylight Time, [email protected] writes:
Sneers against the new 'Radcom' editor and the comic, which I take to mean 'Practical Wireless' and its associated publications are unworthy.   When I joined the RSGB three years ago, I was initially disappointed with 'Radcom' which seem to have limited content and lacked style.   Under the new editor, the style has improved enormously and the contents are generally well balanced.   Of course, many of us we would like to see more constructional items and news of exciting research, but as G3WKL pointed out, this depends on those actively involved producing the necessary articles.

As far as PW is concerned, it has kept going over the years and won many friends, including myself.   From the earliest days to the present time it has been one of the few windows on the world of amateur radio, raising interest in old and young, something we still surely need.

Phew! I fell better to have got that off my chest.
-----------------------
Shame then that you did such a good job of getting many of your facts wrong.

Yes, RadCom has improved considerably but that has been under the editorship of Giles Read who remains Technical Editor.

No, he is not the new Managing Editor, who's appointment is sufficiently recent to be irrelevant to those improvements that have impressed you.

No, the "comic" in this instance is not Practical Wireless, despite that being known as Camm's Comic in the past, but another offering from PWP known as RadioUser, the result of PWP's misguided decision to dump ShortWave Mag and its editor in order to produce this dumbed down offering.

It wasn't all that long ago, and may still be ongoing for all I know, that editorial comment in RadioUser was encouraging contributions on all aspects of radio "operating", regardless of the legality of some practices, presumably in attempts to find a niche audience after most previous SWM readers had no doubt departed the fold in favour of Monitoring Monthly.

That's what your new Managing Editor of RadCom was doing whilst Giles Read was making such a good job of sorting out what it was that had prevously disappoined you.

Funny old world ain't it?

Regards

Nigel
GM8PZR