LF: Loop Conundrum

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Loop Conundrum
From: "Andy Talbot" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 12:29:33 +0100
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=googlemail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to :subject:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding :content-disposition; bh=t+LyXAW+7hW6PnmYHCUlUTc2J1HDavdIsfcA7O6vlUc=; b=szkrdKaCwVhkH3qMTsf7gIjIDbkXI4GoNFJM5ffhx2h79uFjf3y9D9mB7g20Z5XKAk CjmHbk6CymnQcnolxccPM0g8L1X3C/y/qKgUA0fJSUngwU9fiCAikwu4Ihx+qzYeiTdF iSWCMQ7wvSwXSOmjtH1udt7pdeYHVEvbK+/ZA=
Sender: [email protected]
Was pondering this while out walking the other day, and couldn't come
to a satisfactory conclusion either way...

A small magnetic loop mounted vertically has a defined radiation
resistance that is a function of its diameter, a loss that is function
of its conductor and hence a loss or efficiency that is the ratio of
the two. It is resonated with a good quality vacuum capacitor, and
fed/matched by any suitable metrhod.  Lets also leave aside all the
myth and folklore about small loops, and also ignore the environment
for now.   It also as a radiation pattern with nulls.

Now, I take two identical such loops and mount then on the same centre
line but at right angles to eachother so there should be no coupling
between them, whatsoever.   Now, I connect the two loops in series and
resonate the combination with a single capacitor of half the original
value.   The resulting radiation pattern should have the nulls filled
in, and be a reasonable approximation to omnidirectional in azimuth.

BUT...
What is the resulting change in efficiency?

Argument 1:
Two identical loops = two times the loss R,  but also two times the
radiation resistance (since they don't couple) so net efficiency
remains the same.

Argument 2 :
Chu-Harrington relates efficiency / Q / bandwidth / volume enclosed.
Therefore, as the enclosed volume has increased, the effciency ought
to rise.

Both arguments developed little side trendrils & thoughts as I walked
and pondered, and both appear valid in their own way.  So
the floor is open for discussion :-

And where does the net radiation pattern fit into the equation?  Does
it, at all ?
--
Andy G4JNT
www.scrbg.org/g4jnt

ps.  Fascinating paper on EMP btw. - I was up way past midnight last
night  reading it.