LF: Longwave Antenna Question

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Longwave Antenna Question
From: KU4XR <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2008 11:48:04 -0700 (PDT)
Sender: [email protected]
Date: 5/5/2008  From: Andy Bell - KU4XR - EM75xr

Hello LOWfer, LFers, Experimenters, and such.

I have a Longwave antenna question, and I would appreciate any input and
suggestions.
I am collecting the parts to build a LOWfer xmtr for next Northern Hemisphere
winter.
I have a decent portion of land, but no easy way to erect a vertical, and
ground radials
would be a problem, so I have been thinking about a tuned xmit loop for 184KHz.
My question is; From your experience, ( or opinions ), which would perform
better overall,
a loop mounted in a vertical position ( more difficult for me ) , or in the
horizontal position,
which I could support with poles at about 20' height ( approx. 7 meters ) above
ground.
If I understand correctly, a loop does not radiate off the sides, so if mounted
horizontally,
there would be ( almost ) no upward, or downward radiation, but the loop should
radiate
at very low angles in an omnidirectional pattern, as a surface wave. But would
any of this matter
at the low frequency and 15 meter size limit for the antenna ??

Question #2: is there any advantage to a triangle ( 3 sided ) over a 4 sided
loop ??
Again, mounted vertically versus horizontally.

Thanks for any information, I will appreciate it. If you wish to do so; send
your reply
directly to me at:  ku4xr - @ - yahoo.com

73, from Andy Bell - KU4XR - EM75xr

Be a better friend, newshound, and