LF: TA and DCF-39 sidebands

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: TA and DCF-39 sidebands
From: [email protected]
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 09:16:29 -0400
Sender: [email protected]

Hello LF,

last night, XGJ on 137.7798 was received here between 01:15 and about 05:30. There was also a weaker trace just below 137.7775 kHz, presumably XKO. Both are visible on http://freenet-homepage.de/df6nm/TA/TA_080325.jpg .

A while ago, Mike G3XDV asked about the possible impact of DCF-39 sidebands on TA reception in Germany. The strong magenta coloured noise bands in my nighttime grabber screenshots are mostly caused by ionospheric Luxembourg effects on the DCF carrier, whereas the FSK modulation sidebands are weaker. Their rippled structure can often be seen during the daytime, and is more pronounced when SpecLab's noise blanker is switched off. Here at 310 km, its spectral density at 137.78 kHz is about 10 dB above quiet background noise. This includes averaging over the typical 1s in 11s telegram duty cycle due to the narrow FFT bandwidth. Slightly lower frequencies (137.775) look quieter as we approach a minimum at 137.77 kHz. These gaps are about 10 Hz wide, and they occur at multiples of the bitrate (200 Hz) from the DCF space frequency (139.17 kHz).

Best 73

Markus, DF6NM

Bei AOL gibt's jetzt kostenlos eMail für alle. Klicken Sie auf AOL.de um heraus zu finden, was es sonst noch kostenlos bei AOL gibt.