LF: 500 DX USA

To: "rsgb" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: 500 DX USA
From: "mal" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 11:01:33 -0000
Sender: [email protected]

Hi all
An interesting night/early morning for transatlantic dx.
XGR/6 in and out of qsb from abt 2358utc until I went qrt at 0130 utc. The
sig peaked a few times but was good at 0045/0049 utc and long enough for a
short qso in normal CW.
XGR/2 appeared briefly at 0054/55 utc then disappeared but at least the
signal did appear in Scarborough which is a good distance to travel.
I was pleased to hear that Finbar/GI4DPE had a qso with XGR/6, he has a nice
atlantic sea path from Derry to the USA/Canada.
At best XGR/6 was 549 with me at 0045/49 utc again good for the distance.
Obstacles on this band seem to be QSB and at times QRN at the USA end.
 Because of the brevity of the signal peaks,  CW at a reasonable speed 10/20
wpm is the only sensible mode to use. Very slow QRS with x second dots etc
would not work because of the QSB.
73 to all until the next time.
de Mal/G3KEV/IO94SH/Scarborough/NE COAST/ENGLAND