LF: Re: RX artillery

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: RX artillery
From: "Roelof Bakker" <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2007 13:50:51 -0000
Sender: [email protected]

Hello John,

I have carefully listened to the recording of NDB's OZN-372 and ODR-372.
The upper sideband of ODR-372 is at 372.380 kHz. The upper sideband of OZN-372 can be found on 372.405. Hence both stations are 25 Hz apart. When you switch in your 10 Hz filter, both stations can be heard, hence my guess is that your filter is a little wider than 10 Hz. Using an audio filter with a 12 Hz 3dB bandwidth, I can listen to either station, without knowing that the other is on.

Regarding the noise issue, I believe that the higher noise level without your tuneable pre-amp is caused by intermodulation in the IC718. The selectivity of the pre-amp does decrease the level of the strong "out of band" LW/MW broadcast signals, protecting the IC718 front end from overload. The IMD may also be caused by your local NDB.

I am also using a tuneable pre-amp in front of my selective level meters. However the signal from my mini-whip antenna is directly fed into my AR7030 receiver. The AR7030 can be used with an outboard narrow audio filter or with the 455 kHz output routed into a SPM-30 SLM (# 2) with a build-in narrow audio filter. In either case, sensitivity is on par with the SPM-30 (#1) plus tuneable pre-amp.

To confirm if IMD is at stake, you could repeat the pre-amp experiment with your AR7030.

I have used a R75 as well, which has a similar topology as the IC718. Most of the time I had to back off the RF-gain a bit for optimum results.

Regarding your question on wide IF filters, 500 kHz is so quiet that I can easily copy a number of stations at the same time on the speaker of my AR7030 and 2.4 kHz SSB filter. When stations are weak, narrow audio filters do help a lot. However this askes for a different mind set to normal HF practice. On HF a 500 Hz CW filter is regarded as narrow and 250 Hz as very narrow. However in weak signal work 250 Hz is still very wide.

Roelof Bakker, pa0rdt
JO11tm
Middelburg, Netherlands

--
Mijn Postvak In wordt beschermd door SPAMfighter.
Download de gratis SPAMfighter via deze link: http://www.spamfighter.com/lnl