Re: LF: Cross-band etiquette

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Cross-band etiquette
From: "Dave Sergeant" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 09:39:59 -0000
Sender: [email protected]
On 21 Nov 2007 at 8:58, John Pumford-Green GM4SLV wrote:

> However I've become aware recently of neglect of this courtesy when
> using cross-band for contacts with non-UK or non-NoV stations.
>
> Last night, as an example, a 3-way cross-band QSO was ongoing between
> 2 UK stations on 501.316kHz and a PA station on 3533kHz.

Interesting comments John.

You must certainly bear in mind that working crossband 80m to 500kHz
is currently a very minor interest and something that the vast
majority of users of 80m will be totally unaware of. In that respect
the choice of 3533 is perhaps unfortunate as it is in a part of the
band heavily used for local QSOs on that band. Somewhere rather
higher, say between 3565 and 3580 or so would be far better. 7033 in
theory is OK but does tend to get clobbered by RTTY and other data
modes.

To call CQ on 80m and say QSX 502 is doubly confusing. For somebody
not aware of 500kHz it implies he is listening on 3502, probably for
DX as that is the DX window.

But there again there is a certain Spanish station with a big signal
who calls on 160m regularly listening on 40m for replies. Those in
the know say he has a high noise level on Top Band so can't hear
anything there, which is rather silly. Very rarely actually hear him
working anybody!

73 Dave G3YMC

http://www.davesergeant.com