LF: 500kHz NoV Clarification

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: 500kHz NoV Clarification
From: "John W Gould" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2007 17:27:07 -0000
Sender: [email protected]
Following some excellent x-band QSOs by some NoV holders I've been asked if
clarification can be given as to whether this is appropriate given the a
particular clause in the 500kHz NoV's Terms & Conditions.  This issue is
that clause h) in the NoV states that "This Notice of Variation is
restricted for the Research for which it is issued and does not apply to
routine messages and signals for which the existing terms conditions and
limitations of the Licence shall apply."

I've checked with Ofcom and the position is that a standard Special Research
Permit NoV was used for issuing 500kHz NoVs and that therefore contained the
clause h) wording.  This clause is really meant to cover conditions that
might apply when, for example, an SRP NoV is issued to allow a power level
of 32dBW for EME experiments on a stated band/frequency.  Such an NoV is
issued for that purpose and does not give blanket permission to run that
power level on any other bands, when "... the existing terms conditions and
limitations of the Licence shall apply"  Thus, for 500kHz operating the T&Cs
of the SRP NoV must be observed for that band only and it does not "vary"
the T&Cs of Section 2 of the licence which allows operation on bands stated
in the appropriate schedule.

If my explanation above isn't entirely clear, the simple answer is that
doing x-band QSOs is OK as long as they are in someway related to the
"research" on which you sought your NoV.  Thus, for 99.9% of cases it is
unlikely to be an issue.  I trust that our overseas friends are also content
with that this little piece of British bureaucracy makes their involvement
"legal" depending of course on the small print in their licence!

73 John, G3WKL
RSGB HF Manager