LF: Night of Nights on 500

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Night of Nights on 500
From: John Pumford-Green GM4SLV <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 23:16:56 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Hello LF gang,

That was some night!

Worked a new G station in Chas G3DXZ.

Worked the first ever GM - GM on 500 with GM4ISM (at 519km it even
qualifies as "DX"!)

Finbar GI4DPE was the lynchpin of the next great QSOs... I worked GI3PDN
with the best signals I've ever heard from Ray and then worked the first
GM - GW with GW4HXO (at a distance of approx 950km)

Many listener reports have come in by email that I need to deal with
too.

Let's have more nights like this!

The QRN and QSB was still quite bad, but signals were generally up on
normal and able to cope better.

I noticed Mark GM4ISM's signal was suffering the affects worst of all,
with deep QSB and fast drop outs of individual letters. Some strange
multipath propagation? I've noticed similar effects from time to time
before on Finbar's signal during "marginal" conditions between us.

The weather up here is awful - stormy winds and heavy showers of static
rain wiping out the band from time to time.

There was much dial twiddling as everyone seemed to be on different
frequencies - and with a 10Hz filter there's not much margin for error!

Great fun...

Cheers and good night,

John GM4SLV,
Shetland