Re: LF: QRP Experiments

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: QRP Experiments
From: WE0H <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 08:09:37 -0500
Sender: [email protected]
Hi John,

What distance was that QSO with Finbar & what antennas do you guys run? Lightning static is causing us lots of trouble here in the USA on 505kc. It is usually 40/9 noise floor as we keep getting thunderstorms across the country every night.

Many thanks,
Mike
WE0H
WD2XSH/16
WD2XGI

John Pumford-Green GM4SLV wrote:
LF,

Last night, after the UK's best DX 500kHz QSO so far between G3OLB and GM4SLV (unless anyone knows differently!) I went on to have a QSO of over 1 hour with Finbar, GI4DPE, starting at approx 22:00 UTC

Conditions were much better than previous nights, with less QRN/Static crashing.

After initial reports at our normal power levels we each progressively reduced output power.

I copied Finbar, reading normal CW by ear, at 250mW RST339 and just got bits at 100mW, say 229

He copied my 1W okay - his WinRadio reporting S0.7 (fractional S-meter..!) Further reductions were uncalibrated as I have no sensitive "QRP" power meter to verify my next reduction, but went to somewhere close to 500mW and Finbar successfully copied, and sent back to me, a sequence of 4 random numbers I sent (1498 from memory) at this power level.

The low QRN levels obviously helped.

At a rough guess (extrapolating from previous measurements at 5W and above) my antenna current at that power would be around 90mA, for an estimated ERP of around 2mW!

Conditions were pretty good last night, but despite calling CQ after finishing with Finbar I heard no other stations before retiring to bed at 00:45 Local time.

Regards,

John GM4SLV