LF: 500 daytime propagation

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: 500 daytime propagation
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 12:45:11 +0100
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=btinternet.com; h=Received:X-YMail-OSG:Message-ID:From:To:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE; b=QW9ImeeHbfqroyXX2E0LsaU8IgSf357LlcN35pdG127ZvsHabjlJLP+FXooEhF57KS5h6EFVnyFe5InbZ5/Ih7Sd7fkbNMZY8jWyrKaXuZDe8lJesOP2+xXOmK0WANP+c67ypmGCT3MVwUkGujg4HUbfc2Uy45l4DrVnyBfMRqc= ;
Domainkey-status: bad (test mode)
Domainkey-status: good (testing)
Sender: [email protected]
Hi all, There is a new and fairly active sun-spot #963 which has begun to
traverse the Solar disc in the last couple of days. The NOAA solar flux
plots show this is quite active and the background X-ray levels have
increased a lot from the quiet conditions we have mostly seen over the last
few months. This kind of activity would shake the daytime paths up a little
on 136khz and possible give an increase in signal of up to 8 to 10 dB at
mid-day. I am not sure what the effect will be on 500kHz with the generally
shorter paths. It is possible that levels of absorption may increase and
signals be poorer than normal.

I am interested in collecting any comments comparing conditions in the next
10 to 14 days with say the last month. I do not have any beacon paths on
500kHz to monitor so I am a bit light on data. The major problem is that the
increased level of T-storms recently may increase the noise level making
signals seem weaker even in day-time

Thanks
Cheers de Alan G3NYK
LF Prop. report at