LF: QRSS

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: QRSS
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2007 12:22:28 +0100
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=btinternet.com; h=Received:X-YMail-OSG:Message-ID:From:To:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE; b=F6qtZoy4oZZ1qVtrClbRbExYzAOPCO6aby4zp+iciMvTTKzrytRCHxgWq55QmOaM/8S7YuS18VMHCwwPZT4kNtKTr6ylXIuGuLFERwmJJzeaaSCoN1lq9AAqioCfk6a1iYRV22gAT0fplSHky5VDZ6+a5mZpYUE80XaKfb5rZXY= ;
Domainkey-status: bad (test mode)
Domainkey-status: good (testing)
Sender: [email protected]
Whilst I apprciate that the "constant" nature of QRSS can be a problem, I am
afraid there are some misconceptions about its use. It should NOT be
NECESSARY to send a morse call at "normal" speeds. This may be advisable in
some cases, in the way of making normal qsos, but it is no more "necessary"
than a 30wpm operator needing to send his ID at 5wpm. The mode is actually
morse and 3sec dot can be read audibly with a little practice. It became
unnecessary for RTTY operators to send a morse ID many years ago (this was
anyway for the benefit of the RIS officers, not other amateurs), and this
archaic regulation is even less necessary now we have fairly common usage of
these modes and common PC usage within many stations. If you dont want to
use a PC in your station that is fair but it is sufficient surely to know
that the mode exists, it has been around a long time at LF.

There is another reason for not sending "normal" speed morse ids. It
precludes the efficient stacking of QRSS stations which can exist within a
very narrow bandwidth. On 136 I have seen as many as 6 stations in a
bandwidth of less than 1Hz. The morse id also sometimes causes confusion
with the identification of the weak QRSS information at extreme range. This
is a narrow band and we are hardly in the QRM situation. Only on a few
occasions have I seen more than three stations active at the same time. At
the same time, one must not expect to be able to operate with a barn-door
wide receiver and blame its failings on everyone else.

QRSS has other uses. We tend in the UK to be very parochial, and on several
occasions on 136kHz operators tried to impose our idea of a "band plan" on
operators in other countires, where conditions were different. At present
there is 500khz interest in many European counties but they are not in the
fortunate position of being able to transmit. (The exception being several
special "commercial" permits). Our use of QRSS gives then something to
listen (look ?) for and keeps the flag flying for a world wide band in this
area. It is also giving useful information about the potential range covered
by transmissions and aiding our case for an eventual sensible operating
power level. Interest soon flags if you cant hear any signals, and
international support will be necessary if we are to achieve a band here. It
is unfortunate that the ARRL sponsored FCC Part 5 permits in this area have
concentrated on using 500k as an interstate chat band. This is
understandable when considering the nature of the application with reference
the emergency comms, but it adds little to our case for an international
allocation.

Alan G3NYK