LF: [500]RE: Re: RE: LF 500khz

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: [500]RE: Re: RE: LF 500khz
From: "Dave G3WCB" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 21:01:56 +0100
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=btopenworld.com; h=Received:X-YMail-OSG:From:To:Subject:Date:Message-ID:MIME-Version:Content-Type:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE:In-Reply-To:Importance; b=XqhQWvOU7TvpPhwJsLtrRGVd7DC1r6kT8g07bbWznc1WyRJ8LA7PYdo4BdmbfgUz7PqMuAqAHIh5G4IiQ39+9niaKIYL8bjK2+aTNJXLLcLH8EoE7zUT+tVitk9qjp79O7fyWhPmwqV1I9VDZ9fcxjGDehnclZTqKQCshzp0VYg= ;
Domainkey-status: bad (test mode)
Domainkey-status: good (testing)
Sender: [email protected]
Hi again, Vic.

Start with getting an antenna up, and then take it from there. The need for a preselector is primarily to protect your RX front end from broadcast band overload. If you have a tuned antenna, you may not need one, at least to get you started.

The 180ft long wire should be fine. You will need to resonate it with a biggish coil. It's the height that matters, because most of the radiation is done by the vertical section. The horizontal bits just act as capacity top-loading. There is some useful data on G3YXM's site.

I use one of the late G4FGG's little programs called "TANT136.exe" also available from Dave's site

Start listening around, once you have got your antenna set up and resonated. You can use the regular NAVTEX transmissions on 518 kHz to tweak the tuning, then look for a weak, steady carrier on 504.0 khz - this is the second harmonic of Atlantic 252 on 252 kHz, and is usually visible. Most amateur CW activity seems to be centred around 502 to 502.5 kHz, with slow-speed (QRSS) beacon transmissions usually taking place between 503 and 503.7 kHz. but there is no hard and fast bandplan. Some stations send CW beacon transmissions at the bottom of the band. GW3UEP, for instance, usually transmits a CW beacon around 501.10 kHz.

A quick e-mail to the reflector will usually elicit a response, and you can also check out Dave's 500 kHz grabber. There's a bit of activity going on right now. G3UNT and G3XIZ are having a CW natter on 502 - ish, and G0MRF and G4WGT are both in beacon mode around 503.6 - 503.7.

I'll dig out the TX scan, and send it direct. Gary G4WGT is also using a similar design.

Ah, yes...you'll need to apply for a NOV as well. Don't leave it too long....I think the trial period ends in March 2008!

73 and good luck,

Dave G3WCB IO91RM