LF: [ 500]; Two GW's Testing...

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: [ 500]; Two GW's Testing...
From: "Dave G3WCB" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 21:43:39 +0100
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=btopenworld.com; h=Received:X-YMail-OSG:From:To:Subject:Date:Message-ID:MIME-Version:Content-Type:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE:Importance:In-Reply-To; b=vAKLS0hPpwPvD/hydqCvI6Poj3BVc6WzG1cQd6XBQxwC+5UVYfwahfdeoMsnbn9j1+WSFC+eZeIoieIm+bRoQWvjWfwwZngjy/NKorbLUYU32Af9Z1qlhRHSJ7xJ9358Qd8t2Qyj2X9csMsqWk8DcE5mkJkgceuadXrO7Dy40hA= ;
Domainkey-status: bad (test mode)
Domainkey-status: good (testing)
Sender: [email protected]
Rog, LF.

I've got a complete set of Argo grabs of the GW3UEP beacon covering the last 24 hrs. (34 MBs worth...too big to e-mail!)

1 The beacon is visible at this QTH for the complete 24h period, using Argo 3 sec/dot setting

2 Daytime levels seem weak but fairly constant, presumably ground-wave only propagation. Never strong enough to actually detect by ear.

3 The transition to night-time propagation commences as a series of fades with about a 5 - 10 minute cycle, starting at around 2200 utc

4 Signals then increase up to workable CW levels, maintaining good copy with slight QSB from 0030 until 0330utc

5 Signals fall to daytime levels fairly abruptly at around 0400 utc, and I think Rog's central heating kicks in around then, as the frequency goes for a little walk LF before settling down close to the 501.500 kHz nominal.

So, the best time to work to work GW - SE England seems to be between 0030 and 0330 utc, when presumably skywave propagation is the dominant mechanism....no surprises there, I guess. At this distance, it's probably a single E-region hop. By contrast, the longer path to GM4SLV is probably 3 hops or more.

It will be interesting to see if the daytime signal levels hold up when Middle England has dried out a bit!

If Mike GW4HXO is in beacon mode over the next few days, I'll try and look for him. Nothing seen so far.

73, Dave G3WCB IO91RM