Re: LF: BEACON - G3XIZ - 503.947 - BAND PLAN

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: BEACON - G3XIZ - 503.947 - BAND PLAN
From: "Dave Sergeant" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 16:33:23 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
On 26 Jul 2007 at 15:55, CHRISTOPHER OSBORN wrote:

> I've been calling CQ on CW for quite a while but had no takers so will
> be beaconing QRSS3 on 503.947 kHz for an hour or so.
>
> As usual all reports are welcome.
> I can beacon through the night if anyone would derive useful data from
> this.
>
> I really think it's time for a 'band plan / code of conduct' for 500
> kHz. I for one would adhere to anything generally agreed to. How about
> an on-line questionaire to operators / listeners ?
>
> 73 Chris G3XIZ

I would support the current trend for beacons/QRSS to be towards the
top end of the band. There are quite a few people crystal controlled
on 502.0 and with an (apparent) increase in activity at the moment it
seems sensible to keep the area above and below there available for
CW QSOs. I found this morning listening to G4ADR calling CQ on 502.0
immediately followed by a QRZ from Adrian G4GDR and was a bit
hesitant which of them to call when there was no response. Almost a
pileup! We really need at least 1.5kHz to accomodate the current
number of active CW ops and to allow for possible increased activity
in the future.

I am not sure an on line poll would work, there is always a problem
getting people to vote... (and you know my views on QRSS).

73 Dave G3YMC

http://www.davesergeant.com