LF: Slow start

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Slow start
From: Peter Dodd <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 12:52:39 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
From Peter Dodd, G3LDO.

I have been rather slow taking up the 500kHz allocation. The reason for this is that the antenna mast is being used for other antenna projects associated with the Communications Handbook antenna chapters and RadCom's Antenna column. The antenna on the mast at the moment is a multiband quad. In the last couple of days I have arranged the feeder of the quad to be routed via the old 73/136kHz transmitting shed. This has enabled me to resonate and match the quad feeder/antenna against ground. This makes for a low efficiency antenna on 500kHz (approximately -20dB) but as the erp allocation is so low this isn't an issue.

Last night I received SM6BHZ's beacon, quite audible on CW.
G3VTT's CQ was over S7 on the meter of the FT-990 this morning.

I have got an NOV but as yet have to build a transmitter when time allows.

Peter, G3LDO
The QRN is very low today I'm QSX and calling CQ on 502 at 0640z G3VTT