LF: Eyeball in VE7 with ZL2CA...

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Eyeball in VE7 with ZL2CA...
From: Scott Tilley <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 23:18:39 -0700
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Everyone

Been awhile since I had something worth posting...

I had the pleasure of hosting Bob, ZL2CA of the ZM2E team for dinner this evening while he and his lovely XYL, Sue passed through town taking in the sites of Vancouver and BC.

While quaffing ales, we discussed the future of LF radio in Canada and even the future of Quartz Hill down under... Something that came out of our chat over dinner was there seemed to be a misconception over the present silence from the VE's on LF.

The reality of our silence on 2200m this summer, and perhaps forever, is that it is part of the Canadian proposal to seek the band for all nations that choose to allocate it after (a hopefully successful) WRC-2007 conference. We are presently working on completing our experimental reports for submission to our colleagues at RAC and Industry Canada to support the Canadian proposal at WRC-2007 for the worldwide 2200m secondary amateur allocation. This was planned well in advance and was mutually agreed upon by all the Canadian experimenters in consultation with RAC and Industry Canada well over two years ago. RAC and Industry Canada did not suddenly pull the plug as some have reported.

I hope this clarifies the misconception perpetuated by some reports that didn't have their facts straight or choose to draw negative implications.

In the coming weeks we will likely need to draw upon our friends from around the world to prepare our final reports where we can all demonstrate to the world amateur radio has a place on the LF spectrum. We hope if the call goes out, many will help.

There's a lot of negatively in the world today and I for one would like to remain focused on the positive. And we (VA7LF) look forward to trying again with ZM2E next spring if all goes accordingly to 'the grand plan.'

73 Scott
VE7TIL