Re: LF: Re: Re: LF Vertical Antennas problem...

To: [email protected], [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Re: Re: LF Vertical Antennas problem...
From: [email protected]
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 13:04:56 +0000
Sender: [email protected]
Thanks Andy and Tom for the suggestions.
Feedline is balanced 450 ohm ladder line w/ #14 conductors.

I'm beginning to think that Bill Ashlock was correct in suggesting that the
extra 10dB loss is due to summer conditions (full foliage etc) compared to
winter conditions  and perhaps my reactance readings are unreliable (perhaps
due to stray rf from BC stations)

--
73 Warren K2ORS/WD2XGJ/WD2XSH/23/WE2XEB/2
FN42hi

From: "Andy Talbot" <[email protected]>
> It would. The Hi-Q quarter wave resonator formed by the shorted coax,
> interacting with the reactances of the antenna could cause all sorts of
> issues.  Compre this situation with the parallel and series resonances of a
> crystal
>
> Andy  G4JNT
> www.scrbg.org/g4jnt
>

> On 21/06/07, Tom Boucher <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > Warren
> >
> > I also had a strange effect when strapping a coax fed 80m dipole at ground
> > level for use as a 160m 'TEE'. It appeared to show 2 resonant frequencies
> > few Khz apart. When I strapped the feeder at the top as well as the bottom
> > of the feeder, all was OK!
> > 73
> > Tom G3OLB

level for use as a 160m 'TEE'. It appeared to show 2 resonant frequencies a
few Khz apart. When I strapped the feeder at the top as well as the bottom
of the feeder, all was OK!
73
Tom G3OLB

> Hi Warren that sounds familiar !! I think you are using covered wire, my
> guess is a break on one leg so that you do not have enough capacitance to
> resonate with the original coils. A top-band dipole will still work quite
> well with one leg disconnected. Can you leave out the loading coil and
> measure the resonance frequency of the wire T alone that might give some
> clues. I have had this effect when part of the top load comes
> disconnected.
>
> Good Luck with it
> Cheers de Alan G3NYK

--- End Message ---