Re: LF: clear out/sdr

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: clear out/sdr
From: "Laurence KL1X" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 17:50:33 -0800
Bcc:
Sender: [email protected]
Tom - its as good as the R75 in this working location (well...as far as I can see here) - It takes a little getting used to but I can now get to a freq pretty quick and changing modes is a click away - cw b/w to 100Hz and rock steady at room temps at dot 120 as far as I can tell. Intelligent too - i knows when the signal is too strong most of the time and tells you in flashing red letter to turn down the IF gain. A couple of carrier birdies Ive seen - one at 9020khz at -105dBm and one at 20Mhz at -97dBm - rest is clean. I sent a response to Mal last week who asked the same sort of questions.

Now youll have to realize that Im playing with very small antennae in a very dodgy noisy location and dont know how it will play out on a large array but I cant see any intermods on LF and MF with numerous MW bcst stations up to -10dBm..impressive I think.

Sensitivity for what I need is going to be fine - eprobes or bits of wire in Singapore and youll probably see it in use /mobile in W5 land in a couple of weeks.

Would I buy another - yep - its so so so much easier being self powered and something that doesnt look like a radio....does it replace a good base station receiver? Well its horses for courses here but it cuts the mustard for me ( and I have two active R75's in operation too)

The baby bottle and eprobe/SDR is a keeper - Ive not managed to get any wire array here to give me as good s/n - but that earthing against the balcony or door frame is the absolute key; I dont think it would be workable, or give so good noise results, in a wooden framed house without a good screen to earth dump before it gets into the house.

I just changed the coax on the probe last night as has suffered abration going in and out of window and door frames - I bought a 100m reel of rg174 for 30 bucks equiv down in the shanghai electronics market area (huge) and Ill be going there today to secure the last of my bits and cache for future projects - the place is a goldmine with prices 1/10th of the US and same quality. PL259 to bnc for 50 cents...

Cheers -

Laurence
spitting with rain shanghai
: Fri, 11 May 2007 20:58:05 -0400

Hi Laurence:

On another subject....do you get good copy results with your fish pole
e-probe and the sdr-iq?  I'm curious....thanks,

Tom N8TL

PC Magazine�s 2007 editors� choice for best Web mail�award-winning Windows Live Hotmail. http://imagine-windowslive.com/hotmail/?locale=en-us&ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migration_HM_mini_pcmag_0507