Re: LF: 500 RX

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: 500 RX
From: "Dave Sergeant" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 21:25:30 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
On 20 Apr 2007 at 19:41, hamilton mal wrote:

> Hi All
> I find the Datong UC1 up converter vy good on 500 khz. I use the 144
> mhz IF and a IC 746 with narrow cw filter. The converter has a tuned
> rf input and this enables the system to be peaked to the signal area
> of interest and avoids breakthrough fm BC stns even with large
> antennas. 73 de Mal/G3KEV/IO94SH

Another UC/1 user here Mal, although I use its 28MHz output into my
K2. That shows up one of its weaknesses, in that the 116MHz
downconverter crystal is not too stable and is hard to get spot on so
I find the calibration is sometimes 100Hz out...

I seem to have a relatively low noise level here (though does vary a
bit) and no problems from BC station blocking. Just been listening to
Colin G3VTT working Finbar GI4DPE and while they were exchanging 319
and such reports I was copying them both very well, peaking 589 but
with the inevitable QSB. Finbar seemed a very good signal tonight,
almost as strong as yourself. So I guess it does show that people's
receivers and noise levels vary a lot.

NOV'd listener at the moment, but not for long...

73 Dave G3YMC

http://www.davesergeant.com