LF: 500KHz reception.

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: 500KHz reception.
From: [email protected]
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2007 15:33:21 EDT
Sender: [email protected]
From Peter, G3JFS in Plymouth.
Locator IO70WJ.

Hi all,

last night (Friday) I made my first primitive attempt at receiving on 500 KHz.  With an untuned/unmatched random wire fed via about 50 ft of coax and an FT1000MP Mk-V I had excellent copy of GI4DPE from about 2300 to 2315 when I shut up shop for the night. S meter readings were meaningless but the signal painted a very clear trace on the spectran waterfall with occasional qsb into noise.

There are problems to solve as I live less than a mile away from the local MW broadcast transmitting station.  I don't know how much power is radiated, or how many transmitters are fed into the aerial but I know it puts out quite a few spurious signals and intermodulation products as well as overloading my receiver front end to generate more - I once measured 19 volts dc output from the detector of a crystal set (with a high impedance meter) connected to a 120 ft long end fed wire.

Like comments I've seen on other rigs my FT1000MP has a big drop in gain when tuning above 500 KHz.  The sensitivity is a bit on the low side but I am sure that a tuned aerial and low gain preselector will allow me to use the rig for more serious reception.

Encouraged by my receiving test I have applied for an NOV and hope to join you the band before too long.

73, Peter