Re: LF: Why 34nb20 blocking cap?

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Why 34nb20 blocking cap?
From: Scott Tilley <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 21:50:13 -0700
Sender: [email protected]
J.

This is to ensure DC doesn't drive the FETs and blow them up in the event that for some reason the exciter stops and the driver provides a constant DC signal to the FETs gate. This clamping type arrangement is to ensure only + going pulses drive the FETS and this is a critical FET safety feature. I have seen designs without it but I'm sure the users must have a box of spare FETs handy and a warm soldering iron...

Jump into your way back machine and do a circuit analyst of it and you'll see what I mean. The cap AC couples the drive, the diode ensures that it is clamped as a + DC pulse train... Therefore, a constant DC bias on the gate can't happen...

G0MRF was the first I noticed using this technique in amateur design of 2200m class D amps.

73 Scott

PS - check your diode polarity!!!

J. Allen wrote:
Hello Tech types.

While I am working on the amp, I noticed that some of the FET drive circuits are fed directly from a driver device (G3YXM circuit p66 LF Today) and some use a blocking capacitor followed by a diode (G0MRF circuit, p72).

Why are the capacitors and diodes required in one FET circuit and not in the other?

Thanks,

J.