LF: RE: ERP spreadsheet ammended

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: RE: ERP spreadsheet ammended
From: "james moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 16:44:28 -0000
Sender: [email protected]
Dear Alan, LF Group,

I think the main thing about ERP is that it is the term Ofcom and similar
bodies use to define radiated power. So if you are writing an application to
Ofcom, you need to use ERP in their accepted sense, whether or not it is
very relevant to LF or MF operation.

The reality of amateur antennas at LF and MF is of course a very long way
from theoretical dipoles in free space, infinitesimal monopoles over
infinite ground planes, etc. As Prof. Mike Underhill likes to remind us, the
relationships between antenna efficiency, TX power and radiated power are
complicated and not beyond controversy even today.  But the practical upshot
of the ERP definition Ofcom uses is that it implies a particular field
strength at a given ERP and distance from the TX. So if ever Ofcom wish to
enforce the regulations, they can do so by measuring the field strength E at
some suitable distance d and calculating the ERP = (Ed)^2 /50; it excuses
them from having to argue about antennas, RF current, efficiency, radiation
patterns and all the rest.

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU