LF: Re: 500 GI4DPE-M0BMU MF QSO

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: 500 GI4DPE-M0BMU MF QSO
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2007 00:03:29 -0000
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=btopenworld.com; h=Received:X-YMail-OSG:Received:Message-ID:From:To:References:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MIMEOLE; b=Zn53B1xATSFuG+nxqqwBmthY68MzmPi0eteJWoJjyoT3yadxSDNfPKvRPL0Fc8KBqYh7ciPcX5MmbPG2RMQRsNFCQmBVGPouYNNlyoFRBgZvbHGh5kqJ6zBfJv3l/F50szC86EEgFRf37JfwMYIcaBy7jqIBPeTnWYj6CsvgIoI= ;
Domainkey-status: bad (test mode)
Domainkey-status: good (testing)
Sender: [email protected]
Dear LF Group,

Pleased to work Finbar GI4DPE and Pete M0FMT in my first foray onto the 500kHz band just now. The QSB on Finbar's signal was very fierce, going from 569 to inaudible and back over a minute or so. It is quite surprising how good the signal strength is - then again, the noise level is much lower than on 136kHz.

 I had a few problems getting the system working over the weekend - mostly to do with having nearly as much signal from Radio 5 on 909kHz coming down the feeder into the TX as was going the other way on 503kHz... it seems the combination of antenna tuner, coax feeder and TX harmonic filter had an unwanted resonance close  to the 909kHz TX frequency, which is running 150kW about 500m away from me. Changing the position of the low-pass filter  to the tuner end of the feeder seems to have solved  the problem for now.

I am using a linear amplifier I built a while ago for experimental purposes, turned down to about 4W output (it actually uses some of the components, including the output MOSFETs, from my first LF TX from 1999). The antenna tuner is similar  to my LF set-up, with loading coil, variometer and toroidal matching transformer, but with only around 300uH total inductance. The antenna is  the same wire I use for LF. For receive, I am using the RA1792 with a loop antenna and preamp.

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU