Re: LF: Re: T/A last night :onlly a few traces XES

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: Re: T/A last night :onlly a few traces XES
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 23:03:29 -0000
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=btinternet.com; h=Received:X-YMail-OSG:Message-ID:From:To:References:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE; b=QXFOSEaOJljLccZWbje9Xc2UAuhQesqKeaNjQA+iJx55DhD4MV6B6ts+qR2IXVlhQ9+5mFcI4/tPz5BR9YD2IVJqIOCUAh8O8sn6FzdF9ZhutZJB3BS3j8R3N+wBBmAlZGobxDOVzJwGVxYeU20Hq+EMHqqTQS6TX4tvRw5KwZ4= ;
Domainkey-status: good (test mode)
Domainkey-status: good (testing)
Sender: [email protected]
Hi John, yes well I always hope for a cry of "Rubbish!.... it's all like
this" ! ....but it never seems to happen. I did get the original Dst idea in
that way though my adviser was much more polite and very helpful.

I do have some drawing showing a number of  rings out between 3 and 9
earth-radii ...electrons go one way and ions the other. The electrons seem
to spiral around the geomagnetic lines of force, whilst the ions are shown
following a more "traditional" orbit. The professional review papers give
this but as soon as they start to go into detail it all gets a bit
difficult, or maybe they dont actually know and maybe are not interested in
the detail. You will remember the controversy about clearing out the "safe
satellite belt" last year.

There are some ideas to look at in the area of recovery time and peak Kp
index. A quick check on the Colorado graphs shows a couple of events with
radically different slopes to the Dst plots after a storm. I have one paper
suggesting the fit is logarithmic (as one might expect, a bit like a
capacitor discharge curve), but it doesnt really go very far, like
explaining why.

Still it gives me something boring to waffle about and send you all off to
sleep !!
Sweet Dreams
Cheers de Alan G3NYK